October 26, 2011

Staff Pick(s)

Every so often here at Repo we like to pick one record that we can all agree on as being the one thing we can't stop listening to. The one we pick today is.....

...... Well I can't decide. Today two albums came in and both are pretty killer. So we'll just call this one a tie between....

J.C. Satan - Hell Death Samba
(slovenly)

French weird-o punkers J.C. Satan hits us again with their second album "Hell Death Samba" and after 2010's "Sick of Love" LP we couldn't wait for more. SOL was filled with moody stoned punk tunes and a splash of heavier rock songs for flavor. This time around it seems like they flipped the coin and made an album that was heavier more "live show" ready and catchier. They still have their classic Salvador Dali-esque lyrics ("This wasn't my room/That wasn't my house/I saw my cat flying through the sky.... This is my arm/that is my sword/against the darkness/like a superhero...) And not to forget the sound that we first loved them for there's still tracks that sound like they're coming from some pot head's strange dream. It's good stuff all around.

This song is not off "Hell Death Samba" but it's the same flavor as the album. Couldn't find anything off the new one.


Bare Wires - Cheap Perfume
(SouthPaw)

Forget about bobby

I sorta wanna say they sound like a T. Rex meets Iggy Pop. When I first heard the title track awhile back I was mildly impressed and never really thought more of it. We've listened to Bare Wires before and thought they were decent. But when the record came into the store and I got to listen to it on the store speakers I was shocked. It's fantastic. Mixing modern garage guitar with proto-punk styles creates a wonderful collection of songs that both manages to grab your attention and make perfect backdrop music to parties. They're not stepping on new ground but I'm still willing to bet that this will make a few "things you should listen to" lists.



No comments: